Saturday, July 16, 2011

Surname Saturday -- Lanza

I recently learned more about ancestors on my maternal grandfather's line.  My grandfather's grandmother (my great-great grandmother) was Rosa Lanza, born in Mineo, Sicily around 1829.  Her father was Giuseppe Lanza and her mother was Emmanuela Gulizia.  Interestingly, their street address was Cortile Lanza, Mineo.  This dead-end street exists today.  I can't help but wonder if it was named after my ancestors.  Otherwise, I don't know too much about the name, Lanza.  According to Cognomix, a Website where one can visualize how dispersed a surname is in Italy, Lanza is found throughout the peninsula.  Lanza does seem to be more popular in Sicily, but it is also common in Northern Italy. 


The sign to the dead-end street/cortile in Mineo, Sicily, where my great-great grandmother, Rosa Lanza, lived with her parents.  The information was obtained from her wedding record. 

Locations in Italy with the Lanza name.  http://www.cognomix.it/.


No comments:

Post a Comment