We continued to read in the Professional Genealogy text book. We were assigned Chapter 2 – Educational Preparation by Claire Mire Bettag, CGRS and Chapter 8 – Alternative Careers by Elizabeth Kelly Kerstens, CGRS.
Chapter 2 was about degree or credit programs in the field of genealogy, such as those offered at BYU. It also discussed the Home Study Course provided by the National Genealogical Society, which is on my list to complete. Numerous conferences and other learning options are also discussed. Chapter 8 discussed alternative careers and opportunities in genealogy other than the usual careers.
The assignment for October was to write an education plan and share it with my group. I listed all my strengths and then delved into my weaknesses. I will share what I perceive to be areas I need to improve:
• Most of my experience has been online, and I need more familiarity with onsite research – libraries, courthouses etc...
• Have yet to attend a genealogy conference
• I need to study more genealogy journals
• I like to do everything at once rather than patiently complete one thing at a time
• I need to take the time to really organize my research and tasks better
• Participate more in blog carnivals, especially when the topic is educational
• I need to find time to volunteer more
Specific Future Goals
2011 - 2012
• Genealogy Research Associates – online lessons (free)
• BYU online courses (free)
• Study the Daughters of the American Revolution Database (free)
• Read the genealogy educational content on the National Archives Site (free)
• NGS Home Study Course
• Attend an NGS conference
• Create personal family history books
• Learn photo restoration
• Join more genealogical societies like the APG
• Develop a business Web site
2012 - 2013
• Take a trip to Salt Lake City and research at the Family History Library for a week
• Take a trip to Sicily for onsite research
2013 – 2014
• BU Certificate in Genealogical Research
• BCG Certification may be an alternate to the BU certificate program, or I may do both... but not at the same time
During our monthly discussion on November 7, we discussed the chapters we had read for October and shared educational experiences and desires.
Thanks for tuning in...