Monday, September 7, 2009

Contact

Continuing on my last post, I had sent three e-mail requests for information to each person who had my ancestor on his tree. I heard back from two. The first told me that I was related to his uncle by marriage. This person has an incredible tree, by the way -- over 22,000 people! His uncle is deceased, but there is a son who can be contacted. He said he would see if his uncle's son has any information or pictures of the ancestors we have in common.

Shortly after, I heard from another tree owner I had contacted. His wife is the great-great granddaughter of my great-great uncle Martin Christophersen. And, of course, this also means we share the same ggg-grandmother and ggg-grandfather. He confirmed for me that my ggg-granmother Ellen and her two sons, Martin and Hans, converted to the Mormon Church. In 1871, they left for "Zion" (Utah). They lived there until they died. He told me all their graves still exist in the Salt Lake City Cemetery! How cool is that? He and his wife also have pictures of Martin and his wife and their headstone. There is also information on Martin that was published in the LDS Biographical Encyclopedia. The writer of this four-book series, Andrew Jenson, met my great-great uncle in Copenhagen, Denmark in 1914, and there is a picture of the two of them together. So I guess even though Martin moved to Utah, he still traveled back to Europe occasionally. Anyway, I was promised a copy of the picture of Martin and Andrew, and also of Martin and his wife, and as I mentioned earlier, the headstone of their grave, too.

I added a picture of the immediate family for Martin Christophersen. His sister, Jonette, is my gg-grandmother who remained in Norway and was not Mormon. I chose to keep the Norwegian spelling for all except Martin and Hans who used the more common American spelling ("Ch" rather than "K" and "ff" rather than "ph"),

I am very excited!! More to come when I know more.

No comments:

Post a Comment